Youth chess the Dolle Toren
At the beginning of 2010 we started a new initiative in the heart of Leuven: youth chess 'De Dolle Toren'. A new club where chess education and the promotion of chess activities for young people is central. In this way we want to further develop youth chess in Leuven and its surroundings. Although the club is new, we already have 15 years of experience in youth chess.
One of Belgium's largest youth chess clubs
With the start of the new season, we have become the largest youth chess club in Belgium. More than 50 youth players have found their way to the club. All levels of instruction are covered: from Step 1 to Step 6. Additional training and individual sessions are also origanized.
Enjoying chess in Leuven
If you enjoy playing chess, you should definitely come to youth chess "The Dolle Toren.
- Here you can come and play against other kids every week on Friday which will quickly make you better.
- Ook geven wij elke week op een groot schaakbord uitleg over het schaakspel zodat je steeds nieuwe trucjes leert.
- These lessons are taught using the Step Method. Everyone also receives a lesson booklet in which you can do exercises at the club or at home.
The age to start playing chess varies quite a bit. Usually it is between 5 and 12 years old. You will find that age is not so important but rather how good you can play chess. Therefore we make different groups according to playing strength.
Playing games and tournaments
You can only get better by playing real chess games regularly. This will give you the chance to actually apply in a game what you have learned in the lessons. You can of course practice with other children from the club, but participating in tournaments outside the club is also possible. There are regular tournaments for beginners, the so-called 'debutant tournaments' and in Flanders there are 11 youth tournaments which are part of a 'criterium'. As a club we participate in most tournaments and transportation is provided. After playing in tournaments, we review the games during club night. Chess players call this "analysis. This way you learn from your mistakes and will play a stronger move in the next game.
If you start playing chess, you don't have to become a member right away. You can come and try out 3 times first. This way you can see if you really like chess. To participate in various chess tournaments it is necessary to become a member of the chess club.
As a member:
- You will be taught weekly by one of our trainers.
- You get the Step exercise booklet.
- You can join us on tournaments.
- You enjoy insurance from the Flemish Chess Federation.
- You become affiliated with the Belgian Chess Federation.